January 11, 2011

It's Hard Being a Knight

"The knight departing for new adventures offends his lady, yet she has nothing but contempt for him if he remains at her feet." - Simone de Beauvoir

Well, off to work again.
Knight in Shining Armor by RivetingArt

I always found that quote to be hilariously funny but equally true. I'm guilty of being grumpy when I feel my husband hasn't spent enough time with me (after working and studying) but sometimes, when he's home all day, I wish he'd leave me alone (so I can work on something) because he's got nothing else to do except (unintentionally) bother me.

So naive.
Saint George Playset by StAnnesPixies

So I wonder, if the husband is the brave hero in one's life, who is the dragon? Does he think that when he's off conquering the world (making a living), he's impressing his lady at home?

Mew.
Fiery Orange Dragon by MissCake

Or is the dragon more elusive than that, revealing itself in relationship issues that must be slain over and over again? The foolhardy hero, striving for material gain and fame in his field, risks losing to the real dragon because he never saw it coming.


Reminds me of the old classic movie, Kramer vs. Kramer. It doesn't have any dragons or knights in it - it's actually quite modern - but I think it fits the bill. We recently got Netflix so we've been watching a lot of movies :)

Home sweet home.

No matter what happens in our outside lives, what's most important is our relationships with one another. With today's economy, it's easy to feel defeated when we suffer setbacks in our careers. But the real dragon is always with us and we need to make sure it doesn't destroy our bonds with the few constants we can depend on, regardless of what happens to us in the physical world.

Knights Rest, Metallic Photograph by RoadsidePhotographs



'It's Hard Being a Knight' by petitehermine


NEW - Fairy Tale Co...
$35.00

Steampunk - DRAGON ...
$25.99

King Arthur and His...
$12.00

Brass Serpent Snake...
$26.00

two turret castle n...
$250.00

Frozen Silhouettes ...
$10.00

Lionhearted - vinta...
$21.00

A Black Knight- Vin...
$39.00

RENAISSANCE GOWN Pi...
$325.00

Chateau de Pau 8 x ...
$25.00

Saint George Playse...
$37.50

Fearless Dragon w/s...
$14.75

Sterling silver men...
$48.00

Magma Dragon 8X10
$15.00

Little Dragon neckl...
$28.00


1 comments:

Riveting said...

Lovely!

I'm honored that you featured my image here - and I totally get the hubby thing! So funny!