November 20, 2010

Healthy AND delicious cookies!

Call me a traditionalist, but my favorite cookies are good old chocolate chip cookies. Because I'm such a chocolate chip cookie fanatic, I'm ashamed to say that it's pretty much the only type of cookie I bake, except when I receive requests for variety (from the family and friends). I started getting into "healthy living" a while back and have tweaked many of my recipes to contain healthier ingredients because I can't give up my baked sweets.

Extra Virgin Unrefined Pure Coconut Oil by kessil2000




































Here are a couple of my tricks
  • Use cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil instead of butter. I usually substitute half of the butter called for in a recipe with coconut oil. Many people use applesauce as a substitute but applesauce doesn't make crispy-edged cookies (though they make moist cakes). You only need 75% of the amount specified for butter (for example 3/4 cup of coconut oil instead of 1 cup of butter). Coconut oil is high in saturated fats but they have a different effect on us than the saturated fats derived from animals. It is actually very heart healthy. Depending on how much butter you decide to substitute with coconut oil, your cookies will range from not tasting like coconut at all to having a coconut-y aroma. Coconut oil also makes a great cooking oil due to its high smoking point and is great for your skin (more on that in a future post). Don't you love multi-use products?
  • Substitute half or more of the required all-purpose flour with wheat flour, quinoa flour, flaxseed flour and/or amaranth flour. To add additional flavor, you can incorporate almond meal, coconut flour, hazelnut flour, and many other options. If you can't or don't want to look for almond meal or hazelnut flour and you don't mind having occasional tiny chunks of nuts in your cookies, you can just buy almonds/hazelnuts and throw them in the blender until you're satisfied with the texture. Watch your cookies because they may require a little less time to bake.



Amazing handmade cookies to bring to a holiday dinner

Vegan Matcha Gyokuro Green Tea Cookies by Artemille



Raspberry Sables by zugarhaus










Chocolate Pistachio Cookie Buttons by lhconfections






































































Fun cookies for the young at heart!

Assorted French Macaroons by sparkleskitchen


Jolly Gingerbread Men Sugar Cookies by KindredSpiritSweets


Number Cookies by sugarcoatedcookies


Strawberry Milkshake Oreo in White Chocolate by sweettoothsweetie









































































And you can't have cookies without tea (or at least I can't :)

Moroccan Mint Organic Green Tea with Spearmint by zanitea


Lemon Drop Loose Leaf Black Tea by DancingBearsTeaHouse



2 comments:

My First Card said...

You almost killed me after I read this page. It's 3 am where I am now... my stomach is grumbling and those cookies are just absolutely delicious ^_^

Ginger Kelly said...

I am now drooling all over my keyboard....
Note to self: must bake cookies tomorrow!

Thanks for sharing these tips!
& all the yummy pics too :)