December 20, 2010

Lunch and Movie Adventure in Union Square

NYC

A couple of friends drove up from Washington D.C. for a visit yesterday, so the hubby and I had lunch and a movie with them for a double date. They really wanted to try Ippudo, a super popular ramen restaurant that doesn't take reservations and charges twice as much for a bowl of ramen compared to most other ramen restaurants in the area. The place opens at 11a.m. and by the time we got there, which was about 10:58, there was already a long line at the door. Good thing our friends got there at 10:45 so they were at the front of the line.

NYC

The first thing I noticed is how cool the chairs were. Now I can eat and publicly cuddle with my husband at the same time! YES! Or, to let everyone know that I'm mad at him, I can pull my chair apart or (even better) switch the chairs so we have two arm rests between us (that'll show everyone in the restaurant what's up).

NYC
Cute.

NYC
Hubby got the special.

NYC
I ordered the classic. Mine was much better.

I can see why everyone likes to come here so much. My ramen was delicious. The broth was pleasantly and extremely flavorful. It had such a complex combination of aromas that I really couldn't explain what I was eating. I think I'll come back here.

As we left, the waiting room was jam-packed full of people (like a can of sardines) and we had to weave around back and forth to get to the door. This restaurant is not too escape-friendly.

We grabbed some coffee after and the girl friend was very specific about which shop it was from. That's when we discover Panya. The cutest little bakery with a proud little bread man as their logo.

NYC
Tell me your heart does not melt a little when you walk by this sign.

NYC
Can I have one of each? Or maybe two? @_@

NYC
Pretty macaroons! There's an Etsy shop that also makes colorful macaroons and ships them to your house (mentioned in a previous post).

NYC
I had a hot cocoa and a green tea bread with red bean filling. It was pretty good.

We planned to watch The Black Swan, starring Natalie Portman, so we walked to the movie theater in Union Square. On the way, we passed by a lady skating inside a Citibank.

NYC
Seriously Citibank? Do you think I'll bank with you because there's a pretty lady with golden wings skating around in your window?

There was a holiday market going on at Union Square!

NYC
Hey mister, I saw you see me trying to take this picture. You just had to stand in that spot while talking on your phone, didn't you? Because if you moved, oh I don't know, maybe 5 feet to your left, you wouldn't get any reception at all.

NYC
Lots of people supporting the handmade :)

NYC
Gnome Enterprises! I know I featured your Bear vs. Tractor tee in a treasury that made it to the front page of Etsy! Nice to see your shirts in person.

Finally made it to the movie theater, which was decked out for the new Narnia movie.

NYC
Aslan is watching you.

The Black Swan was scary. I'm going to have nightmares and/or paranoia for at least a week. Other than that, it was a brilliant story. Loved the film style, allusions, and references in many of the shots. I'm so glad I watched this movie and would recommend it to everyone, but I'm never going watch this movie again. After this, I need to watch something happy, like maybe Muppet Babies or something.

I think I could go for some of that ramen right now.

2 comments:

Meri said...

Oooh, I'm adding that place to my restaurant list! I'm having flashbacks to Wagamama's!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

Thanks for sharing your excursion with us. It makes me want to trace your steps!