January 26, 2011

Featured: Calliope AZ Creations

It's time to shine the spotlight on another noteworthy Etsy shop owner! This time, it's one of my favorite jewelry makers, Marianne of CalliopeAZCreations, who makes some beautiful, intricately-beaded necklaces. They're definitely worth treasuring.

Can you imagine all the time and work that goes into stringing those millions of tiny beads by hand??? It's amazing!
Shady Path Spiral Necklace

Name: Marianne
Location: Tucson Arizona (the Wild West)
Website: http://www.etsy.com/shop/calliopeazcreations
Shop: CalliopeAZCreations
Blog: http://calliopecreations.blogspot.com/


Tell me a little about yourself.
I’ve been beading, weaving, working with clay and collecting interesting natural specimens since I was very small. I seem to be doing pretty much the same things now but on a larger scale.

I'm primarily self-taught but have spent time learning from local artists willing to share their techniques. I live in Tucson, Arizona. When not working on my various creative projects, I can be found training and showing my Shetland Sheepdogs and my Border Collie in Herding, Agility and Obedience competitions. This takes me outdoors, out of town and into the country which provides inspiration and nurtures my spirit.

My work has been sold at the Tucson Museum of Art gift shop as well as in galleries in California and Arizona. Many of my pieces are in private collections across the country. I am delighted when someone likes my work well enough to purchase it. Hopefully, they enjoy wearing the jewelry as much as I did making it.

Most of my jewelry is one-of-a-kind or Limited Edition designer pieces featuring a variety of elements. These are eye catching pieces utilizing unique combinations of semi-precious gemstones, pearls, sterling silver, gold-filled elements, natural stone, seed beads and fibers.

Earth elements include small stones, feathers, natural and glass elements, small pieces of desert driftwood and anything else that catches my eye. To many, these are small decorative elements. To others, these have metaphysical significance depending on the contents.

Anemone Glass Pendant

How would you describe your shop? Who should definitely stop by?
The things in my shop are definitely eclectic. They range from elaborate jewelry to decorated rocks and feathers. Each peace fills a need and satisfies my creative urge. It’s definitely worth frequent visits from anyone as you just never know what will be there. Unique is the key word.


What keeps you motivated?
I am motivated and inspired by colors, shapes and everything in nature. Usually, I will start on a piece with a basic idea but often the piece seems to have ideas of its own and we end up in a different direction. It’s always an adventure.

Another amazing example of quality craftsmanship.
Bib Necklace

Do you have any advice for those who are new to handmade/crafting?
For anyone new to handmade/crafting, I would suggest doing what satisfies you and lifts your heart; learn as you go; be open to suggestions and new ideas and price your work appropriately. You are not going to be able to compete with the mass produced pieces imported from other countries so don’t sell for pennies.

I've always heard that an artist should select one mode and perfect it. This is too limiting for me. I'm always looking for new things, new ideas, new materials and new skills. Each day and every new project is an adventure.

Salmon-Mango Silver Lined Kumihimo Braided Necklace

Tell us who one of your favorite sellers is on Etsy!
I love having an Etsy shop and meeting such wonderful, helpful and supportive people. This whole thing has been another exciting adventure. Two of my favorite sellers are Giftbearer and Galla15. Not only is their work outstanding, but these two ladies have gone out of their way to help other artisans. The time they spend working on promotion activities is incredible and very much appreciated by all of us.

Angel Skin Coral Bead Crochet Necklace

Is there anything that you'd like to share?
I feel that the handmade work we do, whether we call ourselves artists, craft people, artisans or designers, is representative of who we are. We live in an ever more technical society but there will always be those who appreciate and enjoy quality jewelry and creative arts and crafts products. This is a natural expression of us as a society and of humankind as a whole. We should rejoice in our diversity and expand our horizons. What better way to do this than through individual artistic endeavors.


More favorites of mine:
Sculpted Moon Maiden

Three Medicine Rocks for Best Friends




Thanks so much, Marianne, and keep up the great work!

25 comments:

Giftbearer said...

Wow! What a great interview! Thanks Petite Hermine, and Marianne for your kind words :-)

Jill Q said...

Marianne is a wonderful designer, and I totally enjoyed this Feature!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

I've often wondered how much time goes into each piece, they are so intricate! No one can mass produce such lovely pieces of art! I love the Sculpted Moon Maiden.

Kristi said...

oh what beautiful work! lovely feature ♥

Inessa said...

Great interview and a very great artisan.

Katie said...

Calliope's seed bead creations are gorgeous. I used to doing bead weaving and design and I KNOW first hand the amount of time, energy, and effort it takes. Her designs are TRULY breathtaking. Thank you for sharing.

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Stunning creations! Beautiful feature.

CalliopeCreations said...

Thank you so much for the outstanding feature. So many of my pieces and so much information...blows me away.

I'm so appreciative.

Marianne

Lbtoyos said...

I love Calliope shop!!!!

bountyofbeads said...

I am so thankful that you did this piece on Calliope. I can only appreciate how much time went into each piece, but knowing her now makes them even more beautiful.

KrystalsJewelry said...

I love Calliope's Creations!!! her jewelry are absolutely stunning and one of a kind!!! Great write up too!

galla15 said...

This is a wonderful feature!! Great interview and answers, and stunning work!!!

Sea Flower Studios said...

Great interview and beautiful shop!

Enid said...

WOW that is a great artisan!!! Lovely work!!!

marcenebt99 said...

fabulous ... absolutely fabulous

teener1416 said...

omg these items are.... frankly to die for!!!

asdesigns said...

This was a great feature! I really enjoyed it and I love calliopes work

Crystal Zacharias said...

Beautiful feature!

Linda B said...

Her beadweaving is stunning. I admire her patience and love the the art.

Great feature.

Meri said...

Gorgeous sparkles! So pretty- I'm headed to Arizona in a month, I might have to do some investigating for my souvenier trip jewelry!

hoganshandiwork said...

Calliope's jewelry is simply STUNNING!

DaSweetZpot said...

Beautiful work. Very talented! Good luck in everything you do

Elizabeth said...

Lovely interview with a fantastic artist.

devorelebeaumonstre. said...

pretty pieces. x


p.s. I'm having a valentine's giveaway on my blog if you'd like to check it out. xx
devorelebeaumonstre.com

scott davidson said...

Some pretty designs alright. Doing the painting yourselves is more fun but a good place for ideas for more design is this site of wahooart.com, that I use to help with my wall decorations.
You can browse for a painting like this The tree, by 20th century Czech artist, Frantisek Kupka, for example, http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LHUQV , that can be ordered on line and delivered to you.