January 4, 2011

Featured Shop: Make Mine Mud by Miss Pottery

I'd like to share today's featured seller, Melissa (a.k.a. Miss Pottery), who runs a wonderful Etsy shop called Make Mine Mud. Her stoneware pieces are so cheerful, I just had to own some (and I got them just in time for Christmas too!)

Misspottery
These are the pieces I got (among some extras. I'm so happy! :) The little tree and white star are magnets!




Misspottery Name: Melissa
Location: Skippack, PA
Website: http://www.misspottery.com
Shop: Make Mine Mud


Tell me a little about yourself.
I am a mom of three young boys and I have had a passion for pottery for about 14 years now. The minute I first saw a pot being thrown on a wheel, I was hooked! When I first signed up for a pottery class I thought it was going to be a class where I would paint on bisque ware, not learn to throw my own pots! I was completely surprised and delighted to be able to watch a master potter from Australia throw a beautiful form in only a few minutes time just 3 feet in front of me.

Now I get to create something from clay both by hand and on the wheel just about every day. There is nothing more rewarding for me than the gratification of pulling a piece of pottery from the kiln that is free of flaws and has a new gorgeous glaze or new technique applied to it. Sometimes I admit I want to just create from clay and be done with it. The steps of firing and glazing and refiring are so fraught with the possibility of failure that I have to push myself to complete them sometimes. But pulling the finished pieces from the kiln is always worth the wait and worry.

Wee Sweet Heart Creamer

How would you describe your shop? Who should definitely stop by?
My shop is on etsy and I love the traffic and the variety of people I get to meet there. I have MANY more sales outside my state and even across country than I do in my own neck of the woods. Pottery is like that though, I know many west coast pottery makers who say they sell the most to east coast folks. It's funny how an item like pottery can affect you and you just HAVE to have it. My own collection is always growing and I really enjoy purchasing work that is different from my own. Outside of etsy, I do craft shows locally when able and I am always available to neighbors for quick gift purchases.


Large Textured Leaf Dish in Chartreuse Green

What keeps you motivated?
I would say what keeps me motivated is that I love what I do. I love to create and pottery is good meditation for me. I almost always have custom orders in progress, and I make other items I like while making the custom items in order to fill the kiln. From start to finish I can complete a piece in a matter of about 5-7 days though the typical rate is more like 2 weeks from start to finish.

What is your most cherished handmade possession?
My sister in law is a potter also and she made me a beautiful serving bowl many years ago that I still cherish and use regularly. It is a style completely different from my own and I really appreciate that. I also love to collect handmade rings and necklaces and hand blown glass and mosaics. I love hand made baskets too. I can spend hours on etsy looking at dresses, scarves, handbags and shoes. I really love it all. The more color the better for me too!


City Girl at Heart Ring Catcher or Trinket Dish

Do you have any advice for those who are new to art/crafting?
My advice for anyone new to art/crafting, especially selling on etsy, is that it takes time to get established. Those first few sales are hard but once the ball gets rolling, it gets a lot easier. Listen to your customers, lots of times they have great ideas!

Tell us who one of your favorite sellers is on Etsy!
I have many favorite sellers on etsy and many, many people I count as friends here in the etsy community. One of my favorite shops, going way back to when I was an etsy baby is http://www.etsy.com/shop/sagittariusgallery - the owner is very nice and active in the etsy community. Another is http://www.etsy.com/shop/martin1206 all the way from China. They make really cute leather cord bracelets and I bought one for each of my boys last year. I also have many favorite sellers on the Etsy Mud Team and the Etsy Treasury Team.

Custom Pet Dish

Hostess Entertaining Platter


Thank you for sharing with us, Melissa! :) You work is lovely!



28 comments:

Jill Q said...

I always enjoy reading blogs that feature Etsy sellers from the different categories. Make Mine Mud is almost as cute a shop name as the items that Melissa has in her shop! I just love those petite One Heart dishes.

Following you now :D

Giftbearer said...

I love the patterns! Will have to go check out her shop sometime!

Melissa said...

This is a beautiful write up! Thank you so much - I can't wait to look through some of the past featured shops.
~ MissPottery

Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...

Yes, Melissa, thanks for sharing. I love MissPottery's shop, and I always like to get to know the artist. Wonderful spotlight post!

Midnightcoiler said...

Love hearing about you and your beautiful work, Melissa! Great feature!

Nicole's Homemade Treats...The Blog said...

What a wonderful feature of a great shop! I love all of Melissa's work!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

I love pottery! And this is a beautiful style fetured here.

My Mother's Garden said...

What a great feature! Melissa's work is beautiful and full of so much whimsy!

Kristi said...

such a lovely post! you truly cannot have enough trinket dishes- love that shop ♥

Vicki said...

I love MissPottery's work! I have dreams about the heart creamers.

Crystal Zacharias said...

Very cool items...beautiful!

bountyofbeads said...

Her pottery is absolutely beautiful. This was such a great feature spot. Well done!!!

Lbtoyos said...

Gret shop, love the pottery items in. Thanks for sharing.

Dell Cove Spice said...

Beautiful!!

asdesigns said...

Great feature post. Such wonderful items

marcenebt99 said...

this is a very nice blog. You made me slow down and take in the scenery. thank you

Crystal said...

What cute items! And great article :)

Meri said...

I love the ones you got! And so pretty with the ribbon candies :) I can't help but love those for how they look, even if they don't taste that good.

Angels and Everlastings said...

What beautiful items and great photos!

Debbie Boren said...

Nice blog. So great of you to feature different artisans. You ROCK!

GoodyGirlRed said...

I love the heart shaped trinket dishes--cute, cute, cute! I'm going to check out the shop!

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Great feature...love pottery!

galla15 said...

Beautiful work! Nice feature :)

Elizabeth said...

Excellent job with the interview. Melissa makes absolutley beautiful items, and i'm off to go heart her shop!!! Thanks for introducing her to me.

Sea Flower Studios said...

Love everything! Especially the chartreuse leaf dish. Gorgeous!

SaraLynn said...

How beautiful, thank you for sharing! I especially love the texture on the platter.

Angel.Pearls said...

Love these pretty iteme! Have a wonderful holiday/ Eva

Yet said...

Hey! This is Yet from 20sb on We love comments! You posted this link as your most popular!

I see you took the "handmade pledge". It shows. And I must say, this was a great interview. Not to mention that the whole post is just nice to look at!