April 13, 2011

Can Being Happy Make You Forgetful?



Say hello to Cheery, my (dad's) hamster! Yeah, Cheery's not exactly a great name, but my dad had the honors and that was the best he could come up with -_- She's over a year now and sometimes I disturb her sleep so she can go sunbathing. Why did he get a hamster? Long story... that I'm not going to go over in this post.


She ate that flower.



Did you know that a cheery mood can make you more forgetful? According to The Body Odd, scientists have found that your memory isn't as good when you're in a happy mood. Seriously?

Par la fenetre 8 x 8 Fine Art Photography by francoiserachez

In a study (of 180 college students), the scientists assessed the moods of the students, then half were shown a stand-up comedy video of Jerry Seinfeld (ha! those scientists!) for 15 minutes while the other half were shown a home-improvement video of how to install flooring. Their moods were then assessed again, and sure enough, those who watched Seinfeld felt happier, while those who watched the floor installation video didn't feel any change in mood. (I think this is also a study about the funny-ness of Seinfeld :)

Happy Ever After - Print by ilovedoodle

The scientists then gave their volunteers a memory test, in which the volunteers heard a list of single digit numbers and had to recite back the last six numbers without being told how many numbers total were in the list. The scientists repeated the test 18 times with each volunteer.

Happy Summer Bee Pill Phone Case by craftingwithlove

Turns out, there was a clear difference in the ability to remember the last six numbers between those who watched Seinfeld and those who watched the home-improvement video. Those who watched Seinfeld (and were happier) did much worse. But why???

Happy Tomato Pillow Plush by feltlikeit

I don't know, but maybe that's why we remember painful or bad memories much more often than our good, happy memories. I think I'm going to remember this article pretty well because reading it has made me a little sad :(

Happy Place - 8 x 8 Romantic Fine Art by lisabarbero

I've been a bit busy lately as I've started a full-time job again. Otherwise, I'd blog everyday! :) I've been  meaning to post more great treasuries lately, so here are a couple now!


'the song of the mermaid' by xxxRedStitcHxxx


50% SALE The Ocean ...
$25.00

6 CLOUDS in the SKY...
$59.00

Pink Sea Shell. BO...
$20.00

under the awning - ...
$35.00

unisex organic baby...
$53.00

Origami Lotus Flowe...
$8.00

Calypso - Aqua Leaf...
$18.00

Welcome Newborns F...
$18.00

Dandies- 10PK Lette...
$18.00

BOGO SALE Cotton fl...
$25.00

Bannie Limited Edti...
$60.00

Mermaid's Shell...
$29.00

vintage 1960's ...
$42.00

Bathtub - Fine Art ...
$30.00

whisper in aqua nec...
$18.00


'Fresh Orange Juice with Honey' by Mariapalito


Sweet as Honey - Bu...
$10.00

honey can light
$55.00

Feathery Plumes No....
$75.00

Beeswax Easter Egg ...
$10.00

Jumping Bunny (Fel...
$16.00

Crocheted bumble be...
$19.00

Handblown Amber Vas...
$14.00

Sweet Orange Coaste...
$17.00

Triple Strands Neck...
$28.00

One 3.5 Ounce Orang...
$3.50

Amber Glass Vase.
$10.00

Clementine Lavender...
$

Vintage topaz brass...
$6.50

Sweet as Honey - Bu...
$6.00

Honey Bee Earrings ...
$4.00


24 comments:

Aulani Photography and BH Giveaways said...

I literally said omg to the hamster those are the cutest pictures! I wish I could take my hamster out to sun bathe but shed take off faster than I could catch her

new creationz said...

Yes, a very cute Cheery!

Learnt somehing about happiness today. Is that why my memory is so bad. i must be kinda happy!

bloomandbling said...

Hmm...I'm wondering if the results actually had to do with the happiness of the individuals or the fact that one was watching something for pure entertainment and the other was watching something in which they had to remember step-by-step instructions prior to the exercise in remembering numbers. Just a thought. Very interesting though.

cigarboxbeads said...

sweet little cheery! ;>)

now- the happiness thing-- my memory is always poor---and i'm for sure not always happy--but i can always reference this and tell my family why i'm so forgetful ( they still won't believe it! ;>) )

marilyn g

Kathie @ Like A Box Of Chocolates said...

those are the cutest hamster pictures I have ever seen!!!!

Very interesting point, why do we remember the unhappy stuff?

Kristi Michelle said...

What a totally cute post! It made me happier just to read it :o)

Audrey said...

So does that mean that I'm just WAY to happy all the time? My memory is horrible! Well - that's what I'll tell hubby when I can't remember to sweep the floor - I was just too happy today!! :))))

New Hampshire Gardener said...

I'm not sure I buy the conclusion, I can imagine lots of other explanations for the disparity. As someone else said, watching the home improvement tape may have accessed a different part of the brain that was then ready for memory.
But memory is certainly interesting.

Terra Verde said...

That might explain why I am so forgetful. LOL!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

Adorable hamster, who can't smile at that? I'll bet all of us are happy when we are working at our craft!

Lissie said...

Great post! :)

Crimson Hill Soaps and Scents said...

What a cute little thing!! True happiness should be everyone's life-long goal:)

Heather said...

That hamster is cute!! It does make sense that you would be more forgetful, but I don't know if showing a comedy routine versing a flooring installation routine is the best research in this.

Anyway, new follower from the Catch a wave wednesday hop! Have a "Happy" Day!

Heather From and Mommy Only Has 2 Hands!

tearyeyedstars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tearyeyedstars said...

I LOVE your hamster! <3 It's so cute! I have 2 hamsters too so I was overjoyed when I saw more pictures of such a cute creature (:
(Hopefully I don't forget anything now :P )

Meri said...

That tomato brings me to my happy place!
And so does your dad's hamster!

Lbtoyos said...

Lovely post, the hamster is really cute and the second treasury is my favourite, is gorgeous.

Leah R. Hood, Jewelry Designer & Artisan said...

Great post! Love the hamster :D And I think I'm smarter happier! Forget those studies!

Elizabeth said...

I believe it!! Just 2 days ago, I lost both my wallet and sunglasses. Yes I almost had a heartattack about the wallet, and yes it was found. But I was extrememly happy because I was spending the day with my sister and 7 week old neice. What could be better???

Doni said...

Oh that hamster just stole your blog post!! SO cute! We had one when we were kids...whoops, it was an Gerbil...Herbal the Gerbil to be exact!!
It could get out of it's cage, and so we had to give it to some friends.
I laughed when you said that Cheery ate that flower!!! Then I was gonna say something else to you, but forgot.
Oh well!
I was laughing, and I agree...it makes us forgetful when we're happy!
Have a good one!
Doni

teecup said...

It makes perfect sense, I think. This is probably why we click and click our cams to "capture the happy moments" that pass by so quickly.

The Body Odd seems like a good resource... I can't wait to check it out. :)

Fran├žoise said...

lovely blog!!!! Thanks so much for included my print!!!
wonderful week!!!

Stacey - Elle Belle said...

Love the "you're my happy place" print! Favorited it and will call it mine... or my husband's anyway... one day. Thanks for sharing!

Crafting Rebellion said...

I must be insanely happy because I am constantly forgetting things :)
www.craftingrebellion.com