June 15, 2011

Turn that Meanie into a Softie

All you really need is a soft chair. According to six studies done by psychologists at Harvard and Yale, changing how a person feels physically can also change how they feel emotionally.

This is not a sleeping bear. It is, in fact, a bean bag chair! (and that rhymed! :)
Big Sleeping Grizzly Bear Bean Bag by chicsindesigndotcom

In one study, subjects were asked to hold either light or heavy clipboards while reacting to different scenarios. Those who held the heavy clipboards rated job candidate resumes as being more serious, and allocated more money to serious social issues, although their decisions were not effected on less important issues (such as regulation of public bathrooms).

Nido Lounge, a two-person lounger by hellodarshan

In another study, those who played with rough, sandpaper-like puzzle pieces rated neutral social interactions as being difficult or harsh, compared to those who played with smooth puzzle pieces. Also, those who touched a hard block instead of a soft blanket rated an employee in a boss-employee interaction as more unyielding.

2tone Muscle Cube by siamcollection

Lastly, participants were asked to sit in either a hard chair or a soft chair while negotiating the price of a new car. Each participant was given a chance to place two bids. Those who sat in the hard chair changed their bid prices by a much smaller amount than those in the soft chair. I guess they were less willing to negotiate a larger range?


Cast Iron Bathtub Couch by ruffhouseart

I think what we can all take away from this study is, let someone sit in a nice comfy chair first before we break any bad news :) Read the original article at LiveScience.com.

ottoman style sofa by namedesignstudio

Will sitting in this chair make me more ladylike?
Antique French Linen Settee by FullBloomCottage



18 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So, to sum it up..... I need to put all my mean patients in recliners instead of their wheelchairs!!

Romantic.Treasures said...

Very interesting. I guess it is true - you catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

Comfy looking - but edgy!

Susie Tenzer said...

it makes sense, but we often forgo comfort for fashion, right?

Crimson Hill Soaps and Scents said...

Interesting read!! Stumbled it:)

Linda B said...

Wow, look at the bathtub sofa. How interesting!

Jill Q said...

I really enjoyed this! The cast iron bathtub couch totally cracks me up .. but Ikind of like it (✿◠‿◠)

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Interesting....I agree more flies with honey than vinegar

2trUe said...

Thats crazy interesting! (and I need all of those chairs!) ;)

magdamagda said...

amazing items! The bear and the bath tub blew me away, I love to see things like this, it stirs my creativity!

Elemenopie Designs said...

I'm in love with that bathtub couch!! :D It would look so awesome in my daughter's new room....haha....thanks!

kel said...

Verrry interesting! And now I have this song stuck in my head: All I want is a room somewhere, Far away from the cold night air, With one enormous chair. Oh, wouldn't it be loverly?

KateB said...

aahh...if only money were no object...my son's room would be tricked out with that super cute bear bean bag!

DiVaRoCkS said...

I knew my husband needed a newer fluffier recliner! Great post, great info, and great pics!

Charlene said...

How interesting. I know I love sitting in my recliner! Thanks for sharing.

Christina Lucas said...

Lol, DivaRocks! Mine too!!!
I've seen that bear pic on etsy so many times. I never realized it's a bean bag chair! How cool. I think that bath tub needs a back cushion.

Katharina said...

:) Interesting, love that bathtub couch!!! :)

Sea Flower Studios said...

Love the bathtub! What a great repurpose project!