July 20, 2011

DIY Simple Skincare Recipes

I'm really into making my own facial scrubs and such, so I was delighted when I found this article on Yahoo recently with a bunch of super simple recipes that require only 2 to 3 ingredients.

Choice of Three Soap Bars by EldoradoSoap
No, I can't teach you how to make these, but you can get them on Etsy :)

This "Lemon + Baking Soda Face Mask" is something I'm definitely going try, although I would probably tweak it by adding a tbsp of honey as well, since it's moisturizing and creates a protective barrier for the skin.

via Yahoo

Below is a "Oil + Blueberries + Heavy Cream Hand/Foot Lotion." I'm not sure if I'd try this one, since I think I'd want to eat the blueberries and heavy cream instead. I think there are lots of other alternatives for making nice hand/foot lotion, such as just using plain sweet almond oil or apricot kernel oil.

via Yahoo

This "Salt + Olive Oil + Rosemary Facial Exfoliant" sounds like a good bet. If I were to make this, I would substitute the olive oil for a lighter and more absorbent carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil and apricot kernel oil, or a slightly richer one like rice bran or avocado oil. I believe sugar is just as good of a scrub as salt.

via Yahoo

This "Honey + Aloe Vera Face Mask" is definitely a must-try for me. Both are known for their skincare benefits so this sounds like a good recipe! Now, where to get some aloe vera juice...

via Yahoo

There are two more recipes on the Yahoo website that I'm not going to post here because it's getting late and I'm probably not going to try those two (they're hair masks, in case you're curious).

As for those who have acne, I think I've found a pretty good treatment so far. I've been getting cystic acne on my chin in the past few weeks and they are not going away! I've tried salicylic acid, benzoic acid, etc, but it didn't work too well this time. So I checked out one of the acne.org forums and one of the repliers mentioned using apple cider vinegar, which I completely forgot I had. I've been using it for 3 days now the my pimple has gone down by A LOT -- in just 3 days -- whereas it wasn't going anywhere for weeks before then. Hopefully it'll heal soon :) Anyway, apple cider vinegar is a pretty good ingredient for hair and skincare, although it smells horrible. I'll have to do a post on it one day. In case you are curious, I must recommend organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the mother (yes, that's what it's called. It's the best one).

23 comments:

nangatesdesigns said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

Leah R. Hood, Jewelry Designer & Artisan said...

Home recipes are great, thanks for the links!

Crystal Zacharias said...

Thanks for sharing the links! Always nice to save money and do it at home!

Susie Tenzer said...

thanks for the info!

magdamagda said...

I used to try homemade masks and creams but then I got too lazy to make any:)) they used to make me feel extra pampered though:)

Jessica said...

Nice post :) Thanks for the information!!

Desert Shine Jewelry said...

Looks wonderful. Your picture is terrific! Great info.

Prodigy Crafts said...

thanks for sharing!

just B you said...

So cool! Thanks for sharing.
~Kim

Katie - ToyStoryNutty said...

Wow - who would have thought?! The blueberry one sounds interesting...I wonder if it makes you turn blue?!

kel said...

I LOVE homemade recipes instead of all the garbage in the stores! Apple cider vinegar is awesome stuff. I use it for my face and my hair. Thanks for sharing!

Jill Q said...

Mmmmm, there's a few on there that I can't decide if I'd rather slather them on myself or EAT them!

PS You sure take great photos.

Tam Hess said...

OOO I'm going to try the blueberry one for sure! I get that cystic acne on my face too and the doc gave me antibiotic ointment, that's the only thing that would work for me. Can't wait to see what you come up with. xoxo

Christina Lucas said...

Those are all so great! I'm going to try the lemon and baking soda! All of those ingredients are so good for the skin!

bloomandbling said...

They all sound really cool, I may have to try some of them...but is it weird that I'm hungry now? :)

Tabitha said...

Love these - thanks for sharing:)

Kim said...

I will try some of these, thanks!

Linda B said...

Interesting.

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Neat home recipies...

theMayflower said...

awesome! thanks for sharing.

ElfRenee said...

They sound interesting, thank you for sharing!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

Vinegar in any form is amazing. I spray simple white vinegar on my showers and sinks, anywhere that there might be water deposits. AFter sitting a few minutes, it scrubs off easily.

CamillesCloset said...

Great post. I am so gonna make the foot cream.