August 23, 2011

Reconstruct Your Old Clothing (part 1)

I've been purging out my closet lately to make room for new clothes (and to generally get rid of stuff that I haven't worn for years and probably never will wear again). After awhile, I started feeling wasteful, wondering why I bought all this stuff only to not wear them?? If only I could scold Jen-of-the-past and tell her to stop shopping. Then I decided to check out the internet for ideas to revamp all my stuff. Boy, did I find a lot of stuff...

DIY t-shirt tutorials:
Petal Tees Tutorial, via Ruffles and Stuff

Ruffled Scarf, via Ruffles and Stuff

This design was made using bleach!
Judah Method Bleaching Experiment, via Behance Network

Ringlet Scarf, via Kevin & Amanda

Fringe Skirt Tutorial, via Definatalie. Image from City Chic.


Ruffled Wall Decor, via Made by Lex

Textured Tank, via Made by Lex

Pillow Chair, via Craftzine

T-shirt Planters, via Doll

Quilted Coasters, via luvinthemommyhood

Even Etsy has one!
Raw-edged Applique, via Etsy

Now I have a new dilemma: if I save all my to-be-purged clothing for the purpose of making these projects in the future, where will I temporarily stash everything?

Anyway, these aren't actually all the projects I've found. I will share more next time -- involving up-cycling sweaters! You have any other ideas for recycling old clothing that I could use?



14 comments:

IsabellesAttic said...

great way to go green and make fun projects out of items we already have :o)

magdamagda said...

cool! I love the concept and I'm very passionate about it too! please search on my blog "recycle" to find more ideas!

PS: love the wall deco art- first time I've seen somethg like this!

nangatesdesigns said...

Definitely a great idea to recycle and so many good ideas! Have fun with it. I'm going to go look in my closet now....

Crystal said...

Very interesting...I'm not that creative though with recycling!

Susie Tenzer said...

such a great idea - Nate Berkus makes pillows out of old clothes

Bella the Bead said...

I love the petal t shirts - they are really darling!

just B you said...

There are SO many things you can do to upcycle/recycle. It's amazing fun! My kids have so many projects (some finished, and way more on the to-do list), and you're right - it's difficult to find a place to stash all the goods!
Can't wait for next week's post.
~Kim

Glitterbird Glamour said...

This is very green, and economical too!

* said...

uniquecozytreasures- I will be looking forward to seeing how you plan to upcycle your sweaters.

Linda B said...

Great items.

Crimson Hill Soaps and Scents said...

So smart and looks like fun! I will give it a shot!

BijiBijoux said...

Go green!!!

Kim AKA RabbitDogPrints said...

Awesome post! I love to upcycle, sure which I could sew!

To Sew With Love said...

Hi, Jen. Here's an award for you, girl!

http://www.to-sew-with-love.com/2011/08/happy-101-award.html

Hugs,
TSWL Ladies