August 2, 2011

The Truth About 100% Orange Juice?

I was feeling a little sick today so I thought drinking some orange juice would help. I've always heard that Vitamin C and lots of liquids are good for recovering from colds (although I had a slight fever, so maybe that wouldn't have helped). Interestingly, I found this article, while browsing Yahoo, that states even "100% pure" orange juice is artificially flavored.

Orange Ginger Marmalade by BartonArtel

No wonder the typical "fresh-squeezed" orange juice from grocery stores never tasted like fresh oranges to me, which is why I never liked orange juice much. Apparently, in order to mass-produce orange juice, big name brands (like Tropicana, Minute Maid, Florida's Natural, etc) pasteurize fresh orange juice and take out all of the oxygen in order to preserve it without adding chemicals (the juice is then stored in million-gallon tanks for up to a year before shipping out to grocery stores). Once the oxygen has been removed, the juice no longer tastes much like oranges, so companies have their own blend of artificial flavoring to make the juice taste like oranges again and to make sure each carton is consistently flavored with the taste their juices are known for.

Spearmint Orange Jelly by TheSummerKitchen

Juices geared for us North American consumers taste different than the juices geared for our neighbors north and south of the borders. Since the artificial flavorings are technically derived from orange essences and oil, the juice can still be labeled "100% orange juice."

Rustic Burtuqal (Orange) Woodcut by KimballPrints

So now I feel less guilty for not liking store-bought orange juice and will invest in a juicer :) As for the yummy-looking pictures on this page? They're handmade by Etsians who do not own giant tanks of storage space for their foods. Anyone know where I can get some super-freshly squeezed orange juice aside from a juicer?

Blood Orange Jam by lemonbird

Brown Sugar Orange Marmalade by cupboardcook

Chocolate Dipped Mandarin Slices by CricklewoodChocolate

Natural & Organic Gourmet Chocolate Orange Cookies by estheraguirre

Honey Orange Slices by HomemakersHeaven

Unicorn and his Glass of Of Orange Juice by bikeparts




29 comments:

Kait said...

Oh, that's kinda gross.
I don't like the idea of drinking last year's orange juice...

I have never really cared for the grocery store orange juice, so thanks, now I don't feel so bad about it either!

I'll take my chances juicing them myself!

KrystalsJewelry said...

great info.. yeah you'd be surprised that a lot of the food at the grocery store arent what you think it is... there are certain ingrediants arent good for your but are in most of the food at the stores.. meats/poultry/beef, milk etc have things in it most people arent aware of. glad you did some research about the orange juice...

etherealflowers said...

i totally dig the fresh home-made orange juice choice! so much better. i can't stand the bought juices as well, tastes always *fake* >.<

" me " said...

yuk! thanks for the information ! really interesting ! ( and i don't like orange juice from the store either )

kel said...

I've always hated store orange juice too! Oh and the crap I would get from people about how healthy it is and I should just drink it. Pffft! The best time to drink juice is within 20 minutes of it being juiced. I just bought a juicer last week and I LOVE IT!

Jill Q said...

Great info. Jillian Michaels has a book out that will scare you away from the grocery store forever!!!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

It amazes me what food producers do to our food supply. I have a juicer and I'm not afraid to use it!

Melissa said...

Yikes! Stored up to a year?!?! It's really sad that our food isn't really what we think it is. Not sure where you can buy orange juice that is truly fresh, but I do try to buy as much local produce as possible. We have a great farmers market.

Crystal said...

I love fresh oranges at Christmas time...but don't care for orange juice.

Tabitha said...

I've been wanting a juicer, too! There is this adorable little restaurant near me (http://www.succotashkc.com/) that squeezes the oranges right when you order your juice! It tastes like I stuck a straw in an orange and sucked it up! It definitely tastes different than store-bought. Love it:)

Crimson Hill Soaps and Scents said...

Didn't know that....scary!

CalliopeCreations said...

Also, people need to be aware that when taking medications, citrus might need to be avoided. Check with your Doctor. My husband was ill and on antibiotics and got worse. The doctor told him to stop drinking OJ and this was fresh from our own trees.

nangatesdesigns said...

I think I'll go buy a juicer now. Have been thinking about it for a while. Seems like nothing is natural anymore.

Bella the Bead said...

OJ is a year old!!??!!
I think I may have to start using that juicer the in-laws gave us for Christmas!!
ick...a year old??!!!???

The Royal Family 2 said...

sad, and kinda gross.... I don't like the stuff either now i know why

MadeJust4You
(theroyalfamily)

Brandy

Jessica said...

That unicorn picture is hilarious! As for 100% OJ what a bunch of liars... can't say I'm surprised. Stick with taking viatmin C. I have been using this mix whenever I get sick - it seems to help: 1 can Frozen OJ from concentrate, 1 can frozen lemonade from concentrate, and then fill the rest of the pitcher with ginger ale. :)

Linda B said...

I wouldn't have known that, but I like apple juice better. Guess I have to take my Vitamin C tablets.

Katharina said...

yuks, getting goose pimples just thinking baout this... thanks for sharing...

theMayflower said...

blegh! i never liked orange juice. and now i know why!

Christina Lucas said...

That grosses me out to think about it being stored for up to a year!

Prodigy Crafts said...

you know it's good because you made it...

Laughing Penguin said...

Very interesting...don't forget our MEGA Promofrenzy Team event going on - search etsy for promofrenzyteam for great deals!

Kathleen said...

interesting information!

Jessica of Verve! said...

yeah, interesting and gross. I can't have OJ and that is ok by me!

Crystal Eldoradosoap said...

Love this post, so interesting!

Elizabeth said...

well, now i dont feel so bad about liking Sunny D, at least i know its fake!!

Rebecca said...

I am totally convince that all the junk that goes into our foods to preserve them, add flavor to them, and make them look better is the reason so many people have cancer, fibromyalgia, and other diseases that scientest havn't cured yet. Foreign things just don't belong in our bodies! Yuck! Interesting blog!!!

delightfulprints said...

Interesting

Christine @ craftygeordi.blogspot.com said...

Eeeeewwwww. I don't buy OJ from the store either, it just doesn't taste right. There is a place that I buy my produce from that squeezes their own OJ. I don't quite trust that either because its not pasturized. I would hate to get sick over an OJ fix.......