September 6, 2011

Are You Affected by the Weather?

I can't believe that it's September already! I love summer because I love the hot temperatures, sunshine, and longer days. Now it's all coming to an end as autumn slowly (or actually, rapidly) approaches. Just thinking about it makes me a little sad. I've noticed that my mood is directly affected by the weather and I think that's the case for many many people. Have you ever felt that your moods are tied to the weather as well?

What Summer Means To Me by Kristybee
Yes, I want to live the kind of charmed life evoked by these photos.

Thanks to studies done by psychologists (they never let me down), there is evidence that weather does indeed directly affect the moods of some of us. Now we can say we're not making this stuff up when we blame our crankiness on the rain (or the sun).

Summer Sun by irenechan

A study surveyed 500 adolescents and their mothers and identified four groups: Summer Lovers, Summer Haters, Rain Haters, and everyone else who either weren't affected by the weather or didn't really fit into a pattern.

Silver Rain Cloud necklace by NIKJewelry

Summer Lovers felt happier, less fearful, and less angry on warm sunny days. They felt less happy and more angry and anxious on rainy days.

Summer Haters felt the reverse of Summer Lovers on sunny and rainy days.

Rain Haters felt angrier and less happy on days with more precipitation. I'm not sure how they're different from Summer Lovers, but maybe they're less affected by sunny days?

rain drops by lulubeaucoup

Surprisingly, the children of mothers who reacted to the weather in a certain way often reacted in the same way. I wonder if it's because they've learned from their mothers that certain weather represents certain emotions or if it's really a genetically-based reaction.

I don't think I fit into either of these 3 groups because I do enjoy an occasional downpour. What do you think of this article/survey?

To read the entire article, head over to The Body Odd.

sterling silver weather forecast earrings by huiyitan

Hello Rain by somethingbeautiful77

Hello Sun by somethingbeautiful77

8x12 Summer Photograph by Lori411

C'est la vie by crossbird



21 comments:

CalliopeCreations said...

Really interesting article and terrific images. Loved them. Off to Stumble Review you.

Symbolic Imports said...

Lovely post. I can't say that I am in either category. I love when it rains, I will take the sun and warmth anyday over cold and snow :) So, to sum it up my perfect season is Spring!

BrandiScardina said...

Love that post. Great pictures. I'm a summer hating, fall loving, puddle jumper haha

Romantic.Treasures said...

Lovely pictures - and food for thought. I would definitely fall into the Summer Haters category. I love cool weather and rainy days!
- RomanticThoughts

OnePerfectDay said...

I'm definately a Summer Lover/Rain Hater!!
And I totally agree, your images are wonderful!

Susie Tenzer said...

I want a summer do-over! we had a super hot summer where I live & I couldn't play golf or do what I love to do outdoors.

nangatesdesigns said...

Very interesting post! I'm more of a spring person when it's getting warmer but it's not too hot! Love a good rainy day every now and then. Definitely dislike cold and snow. LOL, I might need to move!

Linda B said...

I'm with nan, too much cold and snow where I live.

And this year, we had so much heat and humidity that I wasn't outside much to play. So, I agree with Susie, summer do over!

Bella the Bead said...

I'm a spring, summer and fall lover...but I love a summer rain, too! I know I would never go back to Wisconsin winters, either! brrrrrr!

magdamagda said...

Oh I am definitely influenced by weather! Sun and summer- I just can't get enough!

Lori Bergmann said...

Love this article and all the cool illustrations you included! I live in rainy, gray WA and can definitely tell when I'm in dire need of some sunshine to perk my mood up! *Ü*

Katie - ToyStoryNutty said...

I'm a fall lover....but I don't see that option. :-p

Crimson Hill Soaps and Scents said...

Interesting! I love fall and spring best.

Elizabeth said...

I love snow, I like rain, I like sunshine. While I do tend to be affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder, I do like winter. But I'm also a swimmer and need some sunshine for that. So I guess I'm just someone who likes all the seasons in their turn.

Prodigy Crafts said...

I hate rain!!!

Beautiful pictures!!! Love your post!

* said...

uniquecozytreasures-I am completely affected by the weather. Am happier on sunny days as is everyone that I know. Like an occassional rain but not when it sets into a long pattern.

galla15 said...

Definitely interesting. Not sure I fit any categories. I love the rain, it is relaxing, but HATE thunderstorms.
Like the summer and the WATEr but HATE the heat. LMAO

I seem to be in the middle somewhere. My personal guess is that it is a learned behavior and not genetics.

Kathleen said...

Great photos! I'm definitely one affected by weather! sometimes it's a good thing sometimes not!!! LOL

Denise and Melina said...

That totally put a smile on my face. Thanks. The photos where gorge. I love fall, but feel for you sad hot weather people, when the sun starts to leg it.

-Melina

Angel.Pearls said...

Sure I'm affected to the weather -today rainy: perfect day to be in the office!
Eva

teecup said...

I'm more of a rainy type of person. I love cool weather. It's the perfect excuse to curl up in bed with a warm mug of coffee.