October 12, 2011

China - Beijing (part 1)

So I've been on vacation in China for a couple of weeks and now I'm back! :) Yay. It's good to be back. I've taken a ton of pictures and can't decide which ones to upload. Here are a few from Beijing-- to get a sense of the place and people. Not sure how many parts I'm going to post (there're still pictures of food and a couple of other cities!) I'll just post these for now :) Excuse the blurriness, un-straightness, and anything else weird. Trying to take pictures and walk among huge crowds while avoiding getting hit by vehicles or looking like a complete idiot results in shakiness. Oh, and I don't have a nice camera.


Yes, let us start off with this Bruce Lee themed fast food restaurant called "Kung Fu." This was in one of the 2008 Olympic buildings and I saw it in a couple of other cities too. Regrettably, I did not try the food here because I wanted to eat at non-fast-food restaurants.


Now then, chronological order. This was us flying over Siberia!


Climbing the Great Wall! Great exercise for one's thighs.


View of road and mountains from the Great Wall.


KFC! No, I did not eat here. It was near the base of the Great Wall, in case we're hungry from climbing so many steps. I think this caters to the American tourists.


Also near the base of the Great Wall. I'm from California and have never encountered California Beef Noodles. I think this caters to non-American tourists who've never been to California.


Walking towards the Bird's Nest building (on the right) of the 2008 Olympics. Look at those lighting structures!


Where everyone's hanging out.


Visiting Tiananmen Square. It doesn't look like there're many people here but you have no idea how much patience I had spent waiting to take this soldier's solo photo.


Horses, bikes, and vehicles. Looks pretty normal to me.


An empress's clothing and shoes from one of the tombs found in Beijing.


An ancient spiritual path lined with old carved stone statues. A very peaceful and beautiful walk.


Shopping district! Here is where you can find everything from Gucci to... pretty much anything else.


The food court in the basement of one of the malls. The food courts here seriously kick butt.


More food court pictures. You get to choose whatever you want from the many stalls and they will cook it for you right then and there.

Sorry, I'm a bit rushed or I'd say more! I'll share more photos next time :)



20 comments:

Bella the Bead said...

Jen, Your photos are fabulous! It looks like a wonderful vacation to Beijing. Walking the Great Wall is on my "bucket list." Thank you for sharing a piece of your trip!!

Glitterbird Glamour said...

That was fascinating! I can't believe they still keep that butcher Mao's photos up in China. Grrr!

nangatesdesigns said...

What a trip - great pictures!! I can't wait to see more.

Susie Tenzer said...

wow, I loved these photos, I'd love to go there! thanks for sharing

CalliopeCreations said...

WOW! Can hardly wait for more pictures. Loved the California Beef Noodles caption.

Kathleen said...

Love the pictures... Looks like you had a ton of fun!

Michelle said...

Wow! I loved the pathway shot, it looks so beautiful!

Prodigy Crafts said...

Awesome pictures!!!
It's like another world to me!)

Jesse Ciani said...

What a wonderful vacation... Note to self, Visit China!

evey said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. That KFC cracks me up.

Jessica said...

Wow! What an amazing trip! SO funny that you saw a KFC!! My husband will laugh so hard when I tell him about the Bruce Lee Fast food place - he would love that LOL ;) Thanks for sharing!

beautiful swag store said...

awesome photos regardless

" me " said...

welcome back !
It must have been a very exciting experience !

rooee said...

This is a wonderful blog and terrific photos. Did the air polution bother you? This year I have read a LOT of chinese novels, the place and people really intrigues me.

Charlene said...

What an exciting experience for you. I bet it was amazing. Thanks for sharing the photos.

ElfRenee said...

This is amazing!! You're so lucky! And awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing!!

Deb said...

uniquecozytreasures- What a great experience. California Beef Noodles(lol).

{nifty thrifty things} said...

Thank you so much for sharing these incredible pictures! :)
Hugs,
Vanessa

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

WOW, beautiful pictures, thanks so much for sharing. My brother will be in Beijing next week for business. Hopefully one day I can go too (but on vacation!!)

all that glitters said...

I went to china 7 years ago as part of my honeymoon. I loved it though I suppose much has changed. I loved your post on food too those dumplings were awesome