October 25, 2011

Sweet Tooth = Sweet Personality?

Just in time for Halloween, let us ponder whether having a sweet tooth equals having a sweet personality. After all, we do use taste-related words to describe others -- in fact, I just used "sweet" to describe a type of personality :) We use words like "honey," "sweetie pie," and "cupcake" to positively describe kind and caring people, and use words like "bitter" and "salty" to describe not-so-likeable people. Once again, I've been reading The Body Odd and they've found a couple of studies that claim individuals with a sweet spot also show sweet behaviors.

Halloween Ghost Brothers Cupcake Toppers by mimicafeunion

In one study of 55 college students, each student rated foods from the five major taste types: sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and spicy. Then they answered questions about their agreeableness. The study found that those who ranked sweets higher also had higher levels of agreeableness.

Halloween Carla Lollipops by VanillaStick

In another study, also with 55 college students, participants were given either a sweet food, a bland food, or no food before being asked to volunteer their time for a professor. Students who were given the sweet food were more willing to help the professor than those from the other two groups. So maybe it means that sweets make people sweet, rather than the other way around?

3D Witch Cauldron Fondant by TwoSugarBabies

Although both studies are small and therefore this theory needs additional testing, the results are still fun. I'll have to test this theory out myself by making desserts for the family before asking them to do something! Maybe a cookie for the husband before asking him to do the dishes? :) Read the entire article here.

Are you a lover of sweets who's also a sweetie pie yourself? What do you think of these studies?

Berlingots Variety Sampler by FusionSweets


Edible Chocolate Cocoa Bean Candy Acorns by Andie

Mendiants-Chocolate candy disks by RainingChocolate

Custom made 12 piece chocolate truffles by ThumbelinasTruffles

Customized Milk chocolate letters by chocolatesays

10 Artisan Mini 4" Canes by SweetSweeterSweetest

Throwing in a Christmas treat :)



21 comments:

Katie - ToyStoryNutty said...

Awesome - I'll let you know if this works for my family. I'll DEFINITELY give this one a try.

new creationz said...

Very interesting! I'll have to try this one out! Love all the yummies above!

rooee said...

i am definitely a sweet tooth....and yes i do use the sweet words. interesting blog, just love those goodies too! drooling drooling drooling..

Charlie said...

No wonder my husband has been grouchy since I put hi on that diet ;) I hope its true it would give me a great reason to bake some more!

Susie Tenzer said...

interesting thoughts! great photos

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Interesting... going to try this out.. thanks

Over The Moon Gifts said...

hmmmm very interesting, guess who's going to be making brownies tonight!! :)

Kathleen said...

Interesting article... Now I'll be watching to see if "nice" people eat a lot of sweets LOL

Tabitha said...

Too funny! I have a GIANT sweet tooth, and I'd like to think I'm pretty sweet:) However, I'm pregnant for the first time, and now sweets make me sick:( And, I guess I could say my demeanor has been a little less sweet to match! I'm a believer:)

Crystal said...

My tooth isn't as sweet when I'm pregnant- especially since I don't want to put on the extra pounds.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I must be really agreeable... I love sweets!

Prodigy Crafts said...

my husband LOVES cookies and he is a nicer person than I am)))
great post!

vintagebyrachel said...

Yummy !!!! You tempted me now :)

ElfRenee said...

Very interesting, and you are so making me hungry!!

CamillesCloset said...

It all looks so delightful.

Lostlemonade said...

gaining weight just by looking!

Ooh Leela! said...

What an interesting article! My FIL is a lover of all things sweet but he is not a very sweet person. He might be the exception though. What a lovely blog you have!

adventuresindinner said...

I must be VERY sweet :0)

Christina Williams said...

I love this post!:) I've heard about these studies. Well, I must be very sweet too then, and it's no wonder that my ex isn't much into sweets! Lol.

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

These are so cute! I also LOVE your blog. I am your newest follower. Come visit when you can and, if you'd like, follow along as well.

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Cjoy2day said...

I love your blog. Your header is so sweet, did you do the drawing? It reminds me of a children's book illustration. Thanks for visiting my blog, don't you just love weddings..new beginnings..