November 1, 2011

Craving Fatty Foods? Sleep More


According to a small study (via The Body Odd), not getting enough ZZZs can make it harder for you (and me) to resist temptation. That makes sense. Whenever I'm tired at work, I end up drinking a coke and eating whatever candy I can find around my desk and/or the kitchen. I'm also more likely to eat junky food at lunch.
In this study, a small group of healthy adults had their brains scanned while shown images of low-caloried (salads, fruits, veggies, etc.) and high-caloried foods (cakes, burgers, fries, etc.), plus a few neutral pictures of rocks, trees, and flowers. They also completed questionnaires about the levels of drowsiness they felt during the day, their food likes/dislikes, and their eating habits.


Scientists found that "the sleepier you are, the less the prefrontal cortex -- the inhibitory area of the brain -- is activated when it's shown high-calorie foods." Meaning, you're less likely to stop yourself from eating an extra side of bacon or another slice of chocolate cake when you're sleepy. The participants were not chronically sleep-deprived; they had their usual tiredness from lacking an extra hour or two of sleep.


Of course, lack of sleep can lead to lots of other unhealthy behaviors too. For example, being cranky, driving unsafely, being unable to focus at work, etc. I'm sure you can think of a million other things just from experience. Maybe we should start prioritizing shut-eye time :)


21 comments:

Symbolic Imports said...

Great post. I am always curious about these types of studies. Love your photos, but the fattening foods not so much lol

Kathleen said...

Really interesting post... it certainly makes you think about personal eating habits

evey said...

that burger and fries looks yummy, even at 8:30 am. think I probably should take your advice, and get some more sleep.

Susie Tenzer said...

that bed would make me dizzy!

Embroidery Queen said...

Very interesting. I just heard about another study that said if you have trouble sleeping you are at higher risk for a heart attack.

beautiful swag store said...

makes total sense!

Melissa said...

Great post and I love the pictures!

BijiBijoux said...

No wonder I always looking for sweets to eat all the time. Thanks for sharing this great tips :)

Jessica said...

Hmm well I guess I will blame my want for some of those foods on pregnancy cravings because I get plenty of sleep (so far) :)

rooee said...

you mean if i sleep more I will lost wait? i must try that! lol
oh wait, let me try the calamari first!

Lori Bergmann said...

According to this, I must be sleep deprived ALL the time!?! LOL Great article—thanks for sharing (except now I'm craving a hamburger and Diet Coke!)

Ashley said...

Hi from promo frenzy...happy to be your newest follower. Interesting post...I'm always sleep-deprived as I have a 2 year old, & I have a sweet tooth. Apparently, that's not a good combination...lol!

Hope you follow me back:

http://scrapbookluv.blogspot.com

PaintedMemoriesByRosella said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Certainly very true for me!

Victorian Swag said...

Awesome post! Love your blog!

Jesse Ciani said...

Great Post! It's so true. At night whenever I'm tired and working on a project, I get hungry, I eat then, fall asleep. All I need to do is go to bed in the first place instead of fighting sleep. Thanks!

Lexiekinprints said...

Just started a diet again, those onion rings look yummy...maybe I should take a nap :)

vintagebyrachel said...

Absolutely true :)The pics are so tempting ....

Katie said...

I love reading about things like this. I'm sure this is true because it happens to me all the time...I should go take a nap now...that...or eat french fries.

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

Interesting.

Prodigy Crafts said...

love your blog posts, the way you put it all together...