January 10, 2012

Bad Baby Names Can Ruin Lives

So we know that celebrities like to get creative with baby names. Some of them sound really cool and some are just downright strange. But did you know that bad baby names can ruin lives? Apparently so!

Humpty Dumpty Art Print by frighten

A study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science found that, out of nearly 12,000 adult participants, having a bad first name can not only ruin your self-esteem, but make you lonelier and dumber... that's pretty harsh. Not only that, but in various experiments testing name desirability on an European dating website, eDarling, the majority of (a different set of) 12,000 participants responded that they would rather remain single than enter a relationship with someone whose name they dislike.

Puppy Puppy - Baby Name Birth Keepsake by prettymod

I'm pretty sure we all have personality/image associations with names based on people, characters, etc. that we've seen or met before. Plus, I suppose some names do roll off the tongue a little better than others. I'm not a big fan of my name because it's so common, but it could be a lot worse :)

Personalized Fawn Baby Name Print by TypePosters

If you've always disliked your name or were teased because of it, here's an actual legitimate reason for you to blame your parents! And you can show them the proof. Find either version of this article on Mother Jones or NY Daily News. And if you're a celebrity's baby, you can probably disregard this study completely.

ANGRY BABY - hand silkscreened card by funkyfarmhouse

Angry Kewpie Doll at The Flea Market by Squintphotography



15 comments:

Symbolic Imports said...

Everyone always tells me, "You must be an Angel", well its definitely a difficult name to live up to lol!

Christine @ sugarandtrash.com said...

I do think there are a lot of unfortunate names out there these days. I believe that you should imagine the name on a resume and how that name would look on an adult. I think that so many parents don't look too far enough into the future, they pick a cutesy baby name and don't think about how a name will impact a adult.
I understand the common name, lol!

evey said...

what a fun post. I love that angry kewpie doll.

delightfulprints said...

I am totally with you on this one. I can't stand these ridiculous names people come up with these days. Think about these poor kids starting Kindergarten! And then adulthood!

The Minis said...

Celebrities are HORRIBLE with baby names! Like Jay-Z & Beyonce's baby?! Haha oh my goodness!

rooee said...

cute blog. i think i would much rather be Ivy Blue than Apple or Moon!

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

I can remember as a pre-teen wanting to change my name, my choices were, Randi, and Morgan...I was a tom-boy! But I had to laugh at the picture of the Kewpie doll, the high school I went to in Indiana our mascot was the Kewpies...kind of ruins your tough image right from the start!

CalliopeCreations said...

I never liked my name. So blah but better blah than anything weird or ridiculous.

Heidi Smith said...

lol. This is too cute. I've never judged anyone in a bad way about their first name; yet I've tried to name my children something that I rarely or haven't heard before. As far as psychology goes, I've learned from parenting that encouragement and compliments go a long way.

adventuresindinner said...

Totally agree with you. People (not rightly-but they do) make snap judgements when they hear a name.

I'm a 'Jane' and have hated it always. I know that it's supposed to be timeless but really? "Plain Jane"...

Lori Bergmann said...

Great article! My daughter is so bummed that we almost named her Ariel (she has always loved the Little Mermaid). But we didn't want her to go through life with people thinking we'd named her after a cartoon movie?! LOL

MagicByLeah said...

Wow, that's really interesting. I've always felt that I got 'lucky' with my name. It's not too common, but not outlandishly crazy. I didn't realize how much MORE greatfull I should be.
Thank you Great Grandma for giving me your name (Leah)

Katie said...

There are SO MANY crazy names out there! I'm glad my name is plain and ordinary. Thank you for the post!

Linda B said...

I love the name Ariel. If we had a daughter I wanted to name her Magdalena because I tutored a girl with that name and she was so cute.

folkhaven said...

That kewpie doll photo is so great! And I'm still laughing from reading the comment about the high school mascot being a kewpie!

I find it so annoying when people think naming their baby is their chance to just showcase their creativity or do something to reflect their own zany personality. It can be both, but that must be balanced with the fact that this is a HUMAN BEING who will have his or her own personality, and will quickly out grow babyhood with their name still in tow. Name-chosing is not a time to be short-sighted.