February 7, 2012

Inspiring Mini Stories

Today, I discovered a site called Makes Me Think (MMT), where anyone can submit short, thought-provoking stories that have touched their lives in some way. Maybe many of you already know about it. I found the site though Marc and Angel Hack Life, which selected an exceptional list of very mini stories that touched my heart. I'm going to list a few of my favorites:

Let the Music Play, Guitar by ShadetreePhotography

"Today, it’s been ten years since my abusive ex-fiancĂ© sold my favorite guitar. He sold it on the day I left him. When I went to claim my belongings, he was proud that he had sold it to a pawn shop. Luckily, I managed to track down the guy who bought it from the pawn shop. He was really sweet, and gave it back to me for free, on the condition that I accompany him on his front porch for an hour to play guitar with him. He grabbed a second guitar and we ended up sitting there on his porch for the rest of the afternoon playing music, talking, and smiling. He’s been my husband for nine years now. MMT"

Trio of Princely Books by drellashouse

"Today, while I was browsing in a secondhand bookshop, I found a copy of a book that had been stolen from me when I was a kid. I opened it and saw, on the first page, in familiar hand writing, my own name. It had been a gift from my (now late) grandfather. Next to my name my grandfather wrote, “I hope you rediscover this book someday when you’re older, and it makes you think about the important things in life.” MMT"

Montmartre Crosswalk by tanjatiziana

"Today at 7AM, I pulled over on my way to work to help a lady change a flat tire. At 4PM, she saved my life when she randomly saw me downtown and yanked me backward out of a crosswalk as a car ran the red light. MMT"

Valentine Tags Gift Tags Favor Tags by seasonaldelights

"Today, it’s been five years since my mom was in a car accident that resulted in her losing all of her long-term memory from before the crash. When I was little, my mom and I used to quote a ‘Winnie the Pooh’ book as an inside joke. One of us would ask, “Have you ever seen a dragon fly?” And the other would reply, “I have, I have seen a dragon fly!” This evening I was sitting with her while we were watching TV and I randomly asked, “Have you ever seen a dragon fly?” And she responded with, “I have, I have seen a dragon fly!” We stared at each other for a prolonged moment, and then she jumped out of her seat and exclaimed, “Oh my god, I remember!” MMT"

the firefighter. heart locket necklace by babyjewlz

"Today, I have been a counselor for foster care children for almost 15 years. This afternoon I ran into one of my previous foster children I hadn’t seen in over 5 years. About 10 years ago, on a day he was really upset and mad at life, I drew him a sketch of a superhero and wrote him a note on an index card about how he is a superhero and that superheroes always rise up and win in the end. I saw him today as I walked past the local fire station. He’s now a fire fighter. He recognized me as I walked by and ran up to me. We talked for about a half hour, and then before we parted ways he took his wallet out of his pocket and pulled out the superhero index card I made for him when he was a kid. MMT"

Be My Valentine Card by AshleyPahl

"Today, at the local convenience store where I work an elderly man with a guide dog came in, went to the aisle with the greetings cards, picked up a card, held it up extremely close to his face, and struggled to read it. Just as I was about to walk over to help him, a big truck driver asked him if he needed assistance reading, and then proceeded to read him almost every single greeting card out loud until the elderly man smiled and said, “That’s perfect! My wife will love that one!” MMT"

12 Rustic Jar Aisle Runners by EarlyERA

"Today, the man that saved my life 28 years ago when he singlehandedly fought off three other men who were trying to rape me, walks with a cane due to the leg injury he suffered by doing so. And he looked so proud today when he put down his cane and slowly walked our daughter down the aisle. MMT"

Dad handstamped cufflinks by whitetruffle

"Today, my dad is the best dad I could ask for. He’s a loving husband to my mom (always making her laugh), he’s been to every one of my soccer games since I was 5 (I’m 17 now), and he provides for our family as a construction foreman. This morning when I was searching through my dad’s toolbox for a pliers, I found a dirty folded up paper at the bottom. It was an old journal entry in my dad’s handwriting dated exactly one month before the day I was born. It reads, “I am eighteen years old, an alcoholic who is failing out of college, a past cutter, and a child abuse victim with a criminal record of auto theft. And next month, ‘teen father’ will be added to the list. But, I swear I will make things right for my little girl. I will be the dad I never had.” And I don’t know how he did it, but he did it. MMT"

first birthday cupcake by SeptemberWren

"Today, a homeless man whom I recognize from around the neighborhood came into my bakery and purchased a large birthday cake (I gave him a 40% discount). I curiously watched as he walked the cake across the street to another homeless man. The other man started laughing and then the two men hugged. MMT"


"Today, I witnessed a bad car accident at an intersection. An older drunk male with no headlights ran a light and hit a teenager’s car. The drunk driver’s car caught fire. Then the teenager, covered in blood, struggled out of his car, jogged to the burning vehicle and pulled the drunk driver to safety just before the cab of the vehicle burst into flames. MMT"

Pink Dreamy Peonies - Peony Bouquet by LaylaArt

"Today, I walked up to the door of my office (I’m a florist) at 7AM to find a uniformed Army soldier standing out front waiting. He was on his way to the airport to go overseas for a year. He said, “I usually bring home a bouquet of flowers for my wife every Friday and I don’t want to let her down when I’m away.” He then placed an order for 52 Friday afternoon deliveries of flowers to his wife’s office and asked me to schedule one for each week until he returns. I gave him a 50% discount because it made my day to see something so sweet. MMT"

Low Back White Cotton Dress by LanaStepul

"Today, after several kids teased a less fortunate girl (who lives in a poorer neighborhood) this morning for always wearing the same clothes, seven students in my class went home at lunch time, emptied their drawers and closets and brought this girl 16 pristine and beautiful outfits to wear. I found out about this after I asked her why she changed her clothes after lunch today. MMT"

Taco Taxi - 8x10 Fine Art by TidbitsStudio

"Today, I was in a taxi on my way to work in Chicago when my blood glucose level suddenly dropped and I passed out. The taxi driver used all the tricks of his trade to get me to the hospital as quickly as possible. Apparently, he cut through a small park and drove over a median to get me there before it was too late. I know this because after I woke up, my nurse told me that my taxi driver “saved my life” and “physically carried me into the emergency room waiting area,” followed by a police officer who was after him for the said traffic violations. But then, my nurse said, “After the taxi driver explained himself, the police officer shook his hand and left.” MMT"

Wanna Go for a Ride Fine Art Photo by maclancy

"Today, my little brother’s internet start-up was purchased for $12,000,000. My brother is 17 years younger than me. Our parent’s passed away in a car accident while I was babysitting him 17 years ago. I was 18 at the time and he was 1. I took legal guardianship of him and worked two jobs for 16 years to make sure he had every opportunity in the world. He started his company at 18 just after he graduated high school. It took off like wildfire. This evening, he transferred $1,000,000 into my retirement savings account. MMT"

PDF Crochet Pattern/Tutorial Baby Lion by UpAbove

"Today, losing my infant son was the worst pain I have ever felt. But the phone call I just received from the doctor telling me my baby’s organs instantly saved two other baby’s lives MMT."

Valentine Dance Vintage 1969 Original by Bullbone

"Today, due to Alzheimer’s and dementia, my grandfather usually can’t remember who my grandmother is when he wakes up in the morning. It bothered my grandmother a year ago when it first happened, but now she’s fully supportive of his condition. In fact, she plays a game every day in which she tries to get my grandfather to ask her to re-marry him before dinnertime. She hasn’t failed yet. MMT"

Brothers by Kizzlethizzle

"Today, the only reason I’m alive is because of my little brother. 7 years ago I swallowed a bottle of prescription pain killers. No more than 30 seconds later my brother called me from Iraq and told me how much he hates it there and that the only thing keeping him going is knowing that in a few months he’ll be back home hanging with his favorite person – me. I vomited up the pills and never told a soul. My brother and I are now roommates. MMT"

For more, you can read the entire selection here or get a continuous supply from the original source.



22 comments:

MagicByLeah said...

Wow I bookmarked the site

shh... don't tell anyone but I have tears in my eyes, my favorite is the superhero/firefighter story, WOW!!

Mt. Baldy Glassworks said...

Thank you! Thank you.

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

What wonderful stories... I wish we could think of these when we think things will never change... thank you for sharing.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

You made me cry...

galla15 said...

Never heard of this site but I am interested and checking it out now. Amazing stories. It is funny how life works out, not ha ha funny but ironic and just crazy at times.

BorneoBatikraft said...

OMG these are all so amazing!!!

Thanks for this wonderful blog post, I read everything through a million times! I bookmarked the site too! Great choices you picked with every story!!

Got Milk Glass and More said...

As a former English teacher, I always enjoy a good read. Thanks for sharing this with us!

CalliopeCreations said...

Oh, Jen, these are wonderful. We hear and see so many dreadful things in the news and in life that these small stories of the best in people are reassuring.

Wonderful selections

delightfulprints said...

I am actually sitting here with tears streaming down my face! Thank goodness no one else is home

{Adventuresindinner} said...

Ok, next time I'm going to need a warning...I read this just before my next class walked in.

New England Quilter said...

Wonderful, touching stories. Thank you for sharing the stories & website!

Stacy Parker said...

such wonderful stories. Thank you for sharing :)

Bella the Bead said...

Jen, Probably THE BEST Blog Post EVER. Tears are streaming down my cheeks as I read every story. I will share these with my daughters! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Anita Dean Sews said...

what a sweet treat! the stories were inspriring & the photos a sheer delight! thanks so much for sharing! xoxo

BillGuestPhoto said...

love the book story! so true how things will find you even when lost!

Ruth said...

OMG, this is amazing, I am bookmarking the site, and Thank you very much :)

Crystal said...

Beautiful!

rooee said...

I read the first one and then called my hub in and we read them all together. Just beautiful, thank you.

Krystal said...

Such heart warming stories! And beautiful features!

nangatesdesigns said...

I have bookmarked this site as well. Amazing stories. Thanks for sharing.

Deb said...

uniquecozytreasures - WoW! I will have to bookmark this website.

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

Thanks for posting these! Laughing outloud, crying...some amazing stories!