March 28, 2012

Regrets at the End of Life

At some point in our lives, we begin looking back and thinking, if I were younger, I would have done this or that, spent more time on this or that. And as more time passes, what we think we should have spent more time on also changes. Well, I found this blog post by Bronnie Ware on Inspiration and Chai, who shares the top five regrets of the dying from her time working in palliative care with patients who spent the last weeks of their lives with her.

Courage by SilverHorsePhotos

1. "I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me."


Hard At Work by CaptainScruffy

2. "I wish I didn't work so hard."


Pika by peaceloveandchaos

3. "I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings."

Ode to The Golden Girls by elloh

4. "I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends."


Looking up Happiness by idniphotography

5. "I wish I had let myself be happier."


For the stories behind those quotes, head over to Inspiration and Chai.



15 comments:

Katie said...

I wish I could express my deepest love for my husband every day.....would be a great addition to the list. I try to tell him EVERY DAY how very much I love him and care for him. I hope & pray I NEVER take him for granted like so many other people do with their spouses.

Bella the Bead said...

Start today! Enjoy every single day you are given! Say "I love you," "I'm sorry," and "Please," and "Thank you," often!

Ana said...

Interesting post, instead of wishing away I think the reality of the matter is to accept what we have and be happy with who we are in the moment, for life itself is precious gift and we have ourselves to be thankful for.

Romantic.Treasures said...

It's just very hard not to have those thoughts about how you might have been able to live your life better. But, it is never to late to start!

Amanda - Over The Moon Gifts said...

great post, we all should think about this more often and maybe we could eliminate some of these regrets.

CalliopeCreations said...

It's never to late to make changes...small ones are easy. Let people know through word and deed how much they mean to you. That one change can impact you and the recipient. Give it a try.

Lori Bergmann said...

Life is too precious to hold grudges and fret about the little stuff… Love all the other wonderful quotes here too!

Mt. Baldy Glassworks said...

I always wanted to rappel, but never got around to it, and now I feel too old and out of shape. But, I did so many other exciting things! Great blog.

Aulani Photography and BH Giveaways said...

I wish I had figured out what I wanted to do years ago.

Linda B said...

This is so powerful. Everyday is a new day to begin again, but I forget sometimes.

Thanks for reminding me.

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

OMG...was this woman looking at my life!

I think it is time for some changes before it is too late!

I just too a position at work that I really wanted but am so worried it may affect others in my family too much and now feeling guilty!

MagicByLeah said...

beautiful post,
it takes constant reminding to do what we truly want to do, for ourselves

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I would agree with all of those.

vintagebyrachel said...

It's always inspiring reading such a post like this one ...

Amy said...

really great post!