June 26, 2012

Why You Need Sunscreen


005 ZORRO after the summer vacation by edart

It's summer, the weather's hot, the sun is bright, and people are a little lazier (or maybe just me). But just as I was slacking a bit from wearing sunscreen everyday, I came upon an article on The Body Odd showing a picture of a 69 year old truck driver's skin after 25 years of daily sun exposure.

Here it is:
(via The Body Odd and the New England Journal of Medicine)

Shocking!!!!!

As a delivery truck driver for the past 25 years, the UVA rays shining through the truck window caused severe wrinkling on the left side of his face. (The longer UVA rays penetrate deeper into the skin and cause over-aging. The shorter UVB rays cause sunburn and skin cancer. So just because you avoided the UVB rays and didn't get sunburned doesn't mean you were untouched by sun damage at all). To read the entire article for all the details, click here.

100% Natural Warpaint Face & Lip Sunscreen w/Zinc Oxide by boardbuttersurf

Now then, what kind of sunscreen to get? There are chemical sunscreens and physical sunscreens. Chemical sunscreens contain (you guessed it) chemicals that are absorbed into your skin, which then absorb UV rays instead of letting it penetrate deep into your skin layers. Physical sunscreens contain titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide, which sit on top of your skin and block out UV rays. I prefer physical blockers because I think that I have enough things getting absorbed into my skin (from all my moisturizers and stuff), so it's nice to have a shield of metal over all of that :) But I'm not the expert, so you should consult a dermatologist for all of your questions. Here is a great site that I used to learn about the UV rays and different types of sunblocks. Check it out yourself at: Understanding UVA and UVB - SkinCancer.org!



19 comments:

vintagebyrachel said...

Wooow this is really shocking !!! Sunscreens are very confusing now with the chemical contains you don't know what is better the sun ray or the chemical ? ...Needs to do a dip research about that :-)
Thank You for the great info XO Rachel

Ana said...

That is interesting information. This is something that has been in the forefront of my vision at the moment and have been on a research investigation. It turns out that any sunscreen blocks the body's ability to produce Vitamin D.

Also many sunscreens contain toxic chemicals and that using natural based oils (like coconut oil-the original sunscreen, SPF4) helps allows the natural vitamins to be absorbed from the sun, and protects your skin at the same time.

Since sunburn is a type of inflammation, diet has a very significant impact on the body as it is number 1 to the cause of sun burning.

Eating a whole food/plant based diet rich in alkalizing foods you are less likely to get sunburn, whereas if you eat a high acid (including a lot of red meat, alcohol, caffeine, sugar etc...) you are more likely to get sunburn.

I am living proof of that and notice that as a Vegetarian I don't get sun burnt whereas when I used to be a carnivore and eat a lot of acid foods I got sun burnt easily.

Sun exposure is actually very good for you and your body, the only thing is that one needs to be aware of is their diet, and how that is affecting their sun exposure.

Hope that helps x

There is no scientific evidence that sunscreens protect against sunburn.

Sewinggranny - Mona said...

It is important to use sun screen but the right one is just as important.

Dorene said...

Thank you for sharing!

Crystal said...

Interesting. Thanks

Crystal said...

Interesting - I did not know that was how chemical suntan lotions worked!

Ruth said...

Very interesting, thanks for posting the information :)

Lori Bergmann said...

WOW! That photo really proves your point so well! eek! I'm a big advocate for sunscreen and my daughters just roll their eyes at me when I insist they put it on, but I know they'll thank me for it later! ;-D

* said...

Unique Cozy Treasures - Good info! And, did you know that the herb, Rosemary, is a natural sunscreen? Including it in your diet, as well as, using products that contain Rosemary Oil will provide a natural sunscreen.

Mandee said...

Great article. So informative.

Aulani Photography and BH Giveaways said...

Wow that is crazy! I cant believe the difference of her face. Good thing my sunscreen is my "face moisture" so I always put it on every day and when I am going to be outside I add it to my body!

theartgirl said...

Funny pic of Zorro

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

What a shocking pic!

Bill Guest said...

I use Sunscreen daily!! wanna be 25 forever!!

Christy Ann said...

Thanks for this post! You'd think we all would have gotten the message by now, but tanning is still in style and not everyone wears sunscreen yet - it's crazy!

anne m bray said...

Yikes - that truck driver photo really brings home the point! I'm sure the brown spot on my left cheek is from driving + sunglasses aiming sun rays to that specific area. THEY DIDN'T KNOW/TELL US THESE THINGS IN THE 90s!

Checking out the SkinCancer.org link to see how my Neutrogena Ultra Sheer measures up.

I also try to deploy hats as much as possible. The SoCal sun is brutal.

dstoutholcomb said...

I like using a moisturizer with spf

Michelle said...

My makeup all has spf, but I never put it on my body. I need to start!

gingerentertainment said...

Design your own bracelet with ULINX fashion jewelry APP. www.ulinxjewelry.com